Recipe: Avocado Toast with Microgreens & Pickled Shallots
Prep: 5 mins Total Time: 25 mins Servings: 4
Breakfast, lunch or dinner...this is the perfect meal when short on time.
Which to be honest, for most of us is a daily occurrence. Whether dropping the kids to school, racing to work, running errands OR for many of us it's all of these things - this quick nourishing meal will carry you through the day.
Starting with our Wildly Fermented Ancient Grain Sourdough bread we've topped it with nutrient dense Microgreens rich in potassium, iron, zinc, magnesium and copper, and a great source of beneficial plant compounds like antioxidants. Paired with creamy avocado and a touch of crunch from pickled shallots this avocado toast pulls out all the stops.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp vegan mayo (here's one of our favorite recipes)
2 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
2 shallot, thinly sliced
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
4 tbsp water
2 tsp salt
2 tsp coconut sugar
1 star anise
½ tsp toasted sesame seeds
Zest of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the red wine vinegar, water, salt, coconut sugar and star anise to a small pot and bring to simmer until the salt and sugar have dissolved. Pour this pickling liquid over the sliced shallot and set aside for 20 minutes. Drain.
- Brush the slices of bread with 2 tbsp of the olive oil and toast until golden brown.
- Spread the vegan mayo on each piece of toast and top with the sliced avocado.
- Garnish with pickled shallot, toasted sesame seeds, micro-greens and lemon zest.
- Season with salt and pepper.